Friday, December 26, 2014

How I spent my Christmas

This time of year is my absolute favorite. Christmas time for me results in spending way too much money on presents for others (I absolutely love spoiling my family), baking with my great grandmother, but most importantly giving back. Giving back has always been important to me and each year I challenge myself to give back in different ways then previous years, which leads me to this year. Yesterday I volunteered at the local homeless shelter and served meals, cleaned dishes and bused tables. This year was very different. Normally Christmas day is spent with family huddled around the fire place, but this year I spent the morning with my boyfriend’s family and then spent the night with my family and enjoyed a late Christmas dinner! While I was serving I met the sweetest little old lady (Ms. Virginia), and she kept telling me how grateful she was to have people and volunteers that love her and take care of her. I also met a father who brought both his kids (8 month boy, and 20 month girl) into the shelter to eat because they had been living in his car with his kids and wife. The little boy LOVED the mashed potatoes and the little girl wouldn't  touch the food (even the pumpkin pie and whipped cream). After being informed that she only likes fruits and yogurt, I ran down to the kitchen and was able to find some food that she would enjoy and sure enough she ate the whole cup of yogurt. After they finished eating we asked if we could take the kids to the women/children facility and change them and get them some fresh new clothes, and that’s exactly what they did. Other than wearing the same clothes, these children were taken care of amazingly given the circumstances, and I commend the parents for taking care of these children to the best of their ability. This whole experience truly opened my eyes and I can’t wait to go back. I also will be donating clothes, wipes, and diapers to the local homeless shelter. I really encourage you all to either serve at a local homeless shelter, or donate supplies to help these poor children. I am so happy to have served others who are struggling and helped provide them with a warm place to have a Christmas dinner, just like the rest of us enjoyed. I am forever grateful for this opportunity!!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment